Monday, June 1, 2009

The Beginning....

I have just returned from my first international adventure ever and it was GREAT! The days flew by quicker than I would have liked but I was beyond ready to return home. Now I've been home a matter of hours and I'm already trying to decide where to go next.

At the suggestion of a very intelligent woman I journalized my adventure and will be transferring my journal entries into blog form with pictures to share my adventure with one and all. I hope that this works out well. My diary is actually a cheap Hello Kitty notebook that I found, which may explain why in the first entry I started off with "Hola Gato." I enjoyed writing in the diary during the breaks in the day and I tried to find interesting tidbits every day to show the fun, excitement, frustration, hope, and amazement at all that I encountered over the past ten days. Unfortunately I was not as "camera-happy" as I was "diary-happy" so I will be relying on photos taken by some of the others to help illustrate my blog. Now to start ....




May 22, 2009
5:00 p.m.
Somewhere between Texas and Peru - over the Gulf of Mexico

Hola Gato!! I have officially left the United States! The adventure thus far has merely taken place in airplanes and airports but there are still items of interest to note. My packing goal was to carry everything onto the plane as a carry on. While hauling my over-sized backpacker's backpack and standard backpack through the screening process my sunscreen was tossed. I had forgotten about the 3 oz rules, no tweezers, scissors, etc. Fortunately I was able to keep my bug repellent even though it was 4 oz but the lady still tossed my sunscreen into the trash right there in front of me. She gave me the chance to change my mind and check the bag in but I was determined to carry it on. Goodbye sunscreen. Not two hours later at the Houston airport I changed my mind. That big bag was a major pain to carry around, Kari and Robert had checked their bags in back in Dallas, and I didn't want to be "that girl" trying to squeeze the huge bag into the overhead bins so I marched myself out to the bag check in desk and through the screening process again to get rid of that bag. Guess I should have made that decision at the Dallas airport - would have saved me a lot of time, not to mention the sunscreen.

The plane from Dallas to Houston was very small (three seats wide with only one flight attendant) and the man sitting next to me was not. And by "sitting next to me" I mean sitting on top of me. Very uncomfortable and awkward. The plane that I am currently on from Houston to Lima is very large. The couple sitting next to me has the cutest little 6 month old baby named Isaac. The lady is from Lima but her and her husband currently live outside of Austin, Texas and are traveling to Lima to show their newborn to her family. I was worried at take off that the baby would be a nuisance but he slept during take off and has been a delight to play with so far during this flight. This plane has personal televisions on the seat in front of us so I'm going to watch Bride Wars and enjoy the rest of the flight.

(Note for after the entry: the baby never did throw a temper tantrum and was delightful during the entire trip. Additionally the couple next to me was very excited that I was traveling with a group of friends from church. Noting that I was a Christian they began trying to hook me up with the woman's younger brother from Lima which was flattering but uncomfortable all at the same time. After Bride Wars I watched He's Just not That Into You - best movie selection EVER!)

No comments:

Post a Comment